Saturday, June 02, 2007

Spring Fling and Socks

Spring Fling is finished now, and I've been wearing it every chance I get. The color isn't really me, but it was the only color KP had available for a Whole Month. I may have to buy some more Cotlin in another color and make a second one.

My gray striped socks are finished as well. They took forever, and I'm not sure why. I think the ribbing, fluctuating as it did with k3tog and k1p1k1 in one stitch, just disagreed with my fingers. But still ... a few baseball practices, and they are now in the finished bin (aka 'sock drawer') The next pair is going much faster, so much so that I expect to have them done tomorrow. Did they have any choice? Baseball practice last Monday, last Wednesday, baseball photos today, game today, practice tomorrow, and then three games this week. Plus it's summer break from school. I *really* need to get some more socks lined up. I don't think I have enough of any one sock yarn to make two socks. Jinkies.

Filia has finished the Baby Bog Jacket, and is plotting her next project. The Baby Bog had some pitfalls ... such as discovering some serious errors while seaming, and having to frog back to the armpits. There were some other small issues as well, but she persevered through them, let me do the frogging, and it is now a Done Deal and ready for the county fair.

We are starting to make the transition into summer, and I have the high ideal of keeping tabs on what we read all summer. My list so far reads:
  • The Yearling, by Marjorie Rawlings. For some reason, I'd always thought this book was a dry book about juvenile writing and awards, and have avoided it like the plague. But it kept popping up on Good Book lists, so I took the plunge. It's a good book. Filia and Filius will probably both read it this summer.
  • The Lottery Rose, by Irene Hunt. Sad, sad book. I was crying even though there was a happy ending. Filia has read it as well. I'll give Filius a few more years before dangling it under his nose.
  • Across Five Aprils, by Irene Hunt. Nifty Civil War book. Filius will definitely be directed to this one.
And that's it for June so far, unless you count the work I've been grading today. The last week of school had greater liberty than usual, and a large amount of work was left undone. The caveat was "No summer vacation, and no computer time, until your schoolwork is done." Filius spent 3 hours today trying to get a week's worth of math and Latin done. He's got more to go, but his to-do list is much shorter than Filia's. She knit.

Two pictures seems like such a small amount for a blog, so I fished around in my archives for an appropriate photo. Without further ado, I present to you a 3 year old Filius, practicing the smile he does so well...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally LOVE the spring fling!!

But, where's the baby bog?

And the young boy. That is a very nice smile.

Pensguys said...

What a cutie!!!

Oh, I LOVE the color and the Spring Fling itself. Where did you get that pattern?

Nice socks! Don't you just LOVE all the baseball stuff! I love it to get knitting done!

Anonymous said...

Surprised you actually said Jinkies!