Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Signs of Summer

Two boys, hanging out under a willow tree, fighting battles with Lego men ...






A girl, curled up comfortably, reading a favorite book ...






A Jackmanii clematis in full bloom. It's worthy of being a desktop background (although in real life, a bit hail-shredded at the moment)

and This Week in Baseball. I began and finished two pint-sized socks ... but that reminds me of the Horrible Thing That Happened on! Friday! I left my knitting at someone's house. This was truly a terrible, horrible, very bad thing. Not because the person was untrustworthy, or would put my socks on 2 circs, or anything like that. But because, for almost 48 hours, I was Separated From My Project!

I broke my monogamy, and whipped out some lace for a pillowcase edging. And then, just as I was about to start the edging for a second pillowcase (and why my husband would *want* pink lace edging on his pillowcase is beyond me, but that wasn't the point ... the empty needles were the point!), my knitting box appeared at my side. How blessed are the feet of those who bring good projects! Faster than you could say Elizabeth Zimmerman, I frogged the 4 stitches I'd cast on for the second edging, stashed all that in my box, whipped out my almost-finished sock, and began ribbing away with a sigh of contentment.

But back to baseball. We did lose to the Diamondbacks, but by a respectable score of something like 8 - 3. The next game was much sadder, and the victory margin was wide enough I have conveniently forgot it. More than 10 runs, I think. Then yesterday we comfortably beat our opponents, and Filius bears the distinction of having been hit (as a batter) by a ball in each of the last 3 games. I discovered that even simple lace patterns distract me too much from the game, so after I finish this set, back to plain knit I go!

My current pair, in Wildfoote Rhapsody (courtesy of Becca's unloved stash), has a simple chevron lace pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks , or the sequel. I've chipped three needles while working on it, and am switching over to metal (and getting replacement wooden ones). While I was examining my needles to see which were chipped and which weren't, I noticed a curious thing. Some of them were no longer round just below the tips! They rather reminded me of sticks rubbed together to start a fire. They're not half-round, but definitely heading that direction.

And another storm is definitely heading our direction, so it's time to shut down this 'puter and go knit. Hopefully by electric light.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Monogamous knitting??!! I am full of admiration and discontent. I think I have been living in sin these last few years.

I did so enjoy your friend Becca. I think we would get on famously.

Carissa said...

The clematis is just beautiful! They are one of my favorite climbing flowers!The socks are looking good too! Poor Filius, I hope he hangs in there!

Anonymous said...

p.s. I love your clematis. I murdered a pair this summer. : (