Thursday, May 28, 2015

A conundrum

How does one write a blog post about sitting back and enjoying life, when stepping away from the computer to sit back and enjoy life is the next thing on the to-do list? 
Quickly, I think.
The weather has warmed up, the Encyclopaedia Britannicas have found a new home, and my minivan is full of things to distribute around Mankato tomorrow as we begin the summer adventure called "Clean Grandma's Garage."  The checks my dad wrote in 1967 will be getting recycled, along with the rest of the checks from the late 60's and early 70's, once we pull the ones with social security numbers on them.  In the olden days, you sometimes needed to put your SSN on a check. 
And phone bills were $8.64. 
The garden is growing beautifully, and we are enjoying radishes, asparagus, and rhubarb.  The little beanie heads have popped out of the soil and should be snaking up my PVC trellis and overwhelming it in the next month or two.  Mom's nettles are beginning to take over parts of her yard, but we are managing to keep them out of quite a swatch that they reigned supreme in last year, so I am pleased. 
Yarn for the miscellaneous small items arrived as scheduled, and I will be continuing to work away on those once I finish this post.  Knitting is my idea of sitting back and enjoying life.  Especially when I can sit by an open window, listening to the nearby birds and the not-so-nearby lawnmowers (since Filius mowed our yard earlier today), and watching the activity in our willow tree.  I may also be listening to a dog snore.  He's been VERY busy at my mom's this week and seems to be catching up on his rest today.
Filia and I put in a few hours in the kitchen today, and it now boasts Rhubarb Apple Salad, Rhubarb Pie, German Potato Salad, and Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies.  It no longer boasts a puffed oven pancake or a rhubarb lemonade slushy. Those have been consumed.  And if the breeze is doing what it is supposed to, there is a large pile of clean and dry dishes in there for me to put away! 
Anyone have a favorite rhubarb recipe to share? 

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Your garden is growing faster than ours. We still have loads of lettuce, as it has been very cool here. Tomatoes were planted just a week ago and it was our first year for Asparagus, so we got 2 spears that promptly sprouted into a small tree. Haven't grown or cooked with rhubarb, but I know if it in pies :)

Its a wonderful season, isn't it? Life and weather :)