Monday, October 29, 2007

Mitten update

I think this Fair Isle mitten is the closest thing to a UFO I have ever made. It is calling for a UFO pile. If I would have had my socks yesterday (they went MIA again, for the third time in 2 weeks), I would not have worked on the mitten. Had I my complete set of needles, I would have started mom's Stash Hat. (Knitting from the stash is a virtue, isn't it?) But, saved by my own forgetfulness and generosity, the only feasible project I had was a mitten.

I really and truly thought about casting on and working corrugated rib for Mitten #2. But, since the going was tough, I decided I might as well do the thumb for Mitten #1. May as well do the Right Thing, as opposed to put the Right Thing off for even longer. And have two non-thumbs staring at me. (Mom has assured me she needs a thumb on each mitten.) So, Mitten #1 is done, except for 40 or so ends to weave in. Mitten #2 is about 1.5" from the cast on row.

And since I'm home tonight, and it's time to knit ... I go looking for other people who have made this mitten on the web. No dice. So I join Ravelry in case I can find someone there. Of course, there's a waiting list ... but I can still put off knitting by first joining, and then checking on my status.
  • You signed up on Today
  • You are #50461 on the list.
  • 13144 people are ahead of you in line.
  • 1 people are behind you in line.
  • 69% of the list has been invited so far
There are 53 people ahead of me for each end of yarn that must be woven in for my mittens. I'm glad it's not the other way around.

In my reading life, I've finished Ideas Have Consequences, and want to get my own copy. I've listened to Vandiver's lectures on The Iliad of Homer, and am starting in on the Odyssey lectures. And, if by any means possible (25 pages/day), I will *finish* reading the Iliad aloud. Maybe even if no one listens. Then we can read something a little lighter. Water Babies, perhaps?

Back to hunting for photos of the Fair Isle Mittens from Folk Mittens.

2 comments:

Troop 2440 said...

Hi Carolyn,

Ravelry is worth the wait. When you get your invitation (it doesn't take too long), look me up. I'm marthalazar. We can see if we're still knitting the same things. I'm stalled on the curved shawl from VLT. I keep putting other projects before it.

Martha

Sheila said...

I just got my invite. There were over 16,000 ahead of me when I signed up and it took 32 days to get my invite. (Yes, I'm that crazy.)
It's worth the wait. I'm so excited about me knitting again. Woohoo. Now if I can just get my sock pattern written up before class starts on Tuesday. ACK! My username is Zaliehs when you get your invite.