Wednesday, January 09, 2019

First Finished Object of 2019

The subtitle of this post could well be "What a difference a dyelot makes".

Just over a week before Christmas, it came to my attention that Filia's favorite mittens were getting rather threadbare. I mended the hole which called this fact to my attention, and decided to knit her a new pair for Christmas.  And when one has 8 days to knit a pair of mittens (and live the rest of one's life), of course, one picks a nice Norwegian design in fingering yarn on size 1 needles, and uses yarn from the stash. 

But I ran out.  And ordered more, knowing that there's likely be a dyelot difference.  The base wool would be from a different shearing, as well.  Still -- what's a mitten without a thumb and a tip?  In Minnesota?  It's not a mitten. 
The yarn arrived with all deliberate speed, and Filia now has proper mittens, making them the first Finished Object of 2019!

Mending has also been happening.  My 2016 Sanquhar gloves were getting a bit thin in the thumb, so I duplicate-stitched a small area before anything actually became a hole.  While those were in the mending pile, I wore a different pair of gloves...
And they, too, attracted my attention for mending.  I reknit the thumb (it had been previously mended) and added some reinforcement to the other thumb, which hadn't given way - yet.

My goal of thrift/recycle/tossing an item each day has been happening, as have technique exercises on the harp.  Current audiobook is Augustine's Confessions (which is going along MUCH better than trying to read the Great Books version, in which I bog down in the second paragraph). 

Until next time ...

No comments: