Tuesday, November 06, 2018

The Long Darkness

Daylight savings time is here, and with it, darkness has arrived.  For some time it's been dark when I get up - and now it's not only dark when I get up, but it's dark at suppertime as well.  Darkness is excellent for indoor activities -- knitting, stationary cycling, listening to audiobooks.  Triple-tasking!  In the summer, I go for 2 hour bike rides and do nothing on them but cycle and think.  Now in the other season, I knit-listen-cycle and sneak 90 minutes of activity into 30 minutes.  How will I ever get back on my road bike?

In the knitting world, I've got a finished Christmas present sitting to one side of me, and two cakes of yarn for a test knit on the other side of me.  Another test knit was mailed off last week -- and I'm up to 51 squares done on my counterpane. Knitting is most definitely happening.  I'm hoping to knit up a pair of Sheringham Mitts for Beth Brown-Reinsel's KAL, too -- and am dreaming of what I'll knit after the counterpane.  Sweater dress?  Gansey?  Stockings?  Gloves?  It'll be fun.

My first bullet journal got all filled up, and I decided to continue the experiment into a second one.  I upped the page size from 3x5 to 5x8, more or less, and have a lot more pages.  It will take me a few weeks to settle in to how I want to use the pages, but I do appreciate being able to make longer lists. My overflow to-do list from yesterday would have more than filled a page in the old journal.  Lots of little things - nothing overwhelming - but enough to juggle that it's good to have it written down so as to not lose track of any piece. 

Curious thing of the week:  A few months ago, we replaced the toilet seat in the bathroom.  Nothing extraordinary -- just a plain white 'slow close' seat with two hinges to replace a plain white seat with perhaps 1/3rd of one hinge left.  And yesterday -- I noticed that the portion of the seat that one sits on (but not the sides in the back ... the part with actual contact to an average body) is turning BLUE.  A very charming, pale blue. 

It's an imponderable.


No comments: