Saturday, October 13, 2018

My season is here

It's fall.  I have a greater appreciation for summer these days, and can enjoy the feeling of warmth soaking into my bones after almost two decades of Minnesota winters, but the change to fall brings delight.  And maybe a bit of a fall cleaning urge, which - for the sake of family harmony - I try to keep mostly under wraps.  Mmmm.  Delightful, lovely, crisp fall.

And then comes winter, which may be my season even more than fall. Fall has getting-the-yard-ready-for-winter chores. Winter has no such thing.  I can hibernate inside with a pot of tea, a blanket, my knitting, and knit/play harp/system-administrate to my heart's content. Except for when I have to go out, of course. 

Hummingbird Feeder with Ice Cube

One of the things I did yesterday in my winter prep was bring the hummingbird feeder in.  The sugar water in it was frozen.  The day before, I picked all the peppers (and some of the plants).  The last few butternut squash got picked today, and the squash plants taken down from the trellis.  I've left the pole beans up for a bit longer.  I'm hoping to get more than a cup or so of shelled beans out of a 6-ft row.  Maybe Jacob's Cattle Beans needed a longer growing season?  We'll see what the yield is after giving things another week or two to mature/dry out, and I pick anything that remotely looks like it might have beans in it.

I finished my Print O' The Wave Stole, and apart from wishing it were a foot or so longer, like it very much.  It's 5' long, and despite my careful calculations, I ended up with enough yarn that I probably could have worked another repeat or three, or left the insertion in on the edging.  Initial calculations showed that I could work the insertion, and have roughly 60" of yarn left.  That was NOT enough margin.  I'm back to working on the counterpane now, and hope to finish up square #45 this evening.  I rather looked forward to starting up again, and am amazed to discover I no longer find bobbles irritating to work.  And after 1400 of the little critters, I unvented a small modification in how I make them. 

It's the little things that are delightful.  

My next library book, The Obesity Code (Fung), arrived in the mail today. More interesting things to read and learn about!  

And how can this have been a 15-minute post already?

Adieu!

No comments: