Wednesday, January 24, 2018

After the storm

We had a wee bit of a blizzard come through on Monday.  I've got a one-minute video of the snow falling, but it's too big to upload and I have no idea how to make it smaller.  Trimming it with Movie Maker results in a file type Blogger can't use, alas.  I do have some still shots of 'looking at a window', however.  It was much prettier in real life, trust me.  

We ended up with around a foot of heavy snow -- sufficient snow that most schools were closed on Tuesday as well, to allow time for the roads and parking lots to be cleared. Filia was able to reschedule some things at work so she could stay home; other employees got in early before the accumulations hit and just planned to spend the night.  Vir left earlier than usual on Monday to get where he needed to be before too much of the blizzard had happened, and landed at Ground Zero for accumulation in Minnesota -- 17".  In a white Chevy Spark, which almost looks like a snowdrift to begin with.  He made it home safely, with stories to tell.  

But the fun story this week has to do with a message I received on Friday.
Oddly enough, my harp was just a few feet away from me when I got this message.  But -- I was looking for a harp with a few more bass strings.  So I immediately became all ears (eyes) and we spent the next half-hour or so in discussion.  The next day, Filia and I went on a road trip to check out my harp.
And before we left the shop, I had a new harp.  Or rather, the shop had my new harp.  The harp was so new, it had only been wearing strings for a day.  And new harp strings need tuning (and tuning, and tuning....)  The harp is going to stay at the shop a while, getting tuned, getting sharping levers added, and a few other final touches, and then I'll bring it home, sometime when we're not having a blizzard.  

Filius learned to drive a manual transmission earlier this month (which is very good, since the car he bought was a manual transmission) and driving out and back would be good practice.  But -- will my new harp fit in his car?  (Imagine how silly it would be to drive for 2+ hours to get a harp, and not be able to get the harp.)  I brought my new harp's case home, the better to see how it will fit, or not, in the back seat.  It also makes for a nice size comparison.  29-string Logan Meadows, bag for 34-string Marion.  And me.  (My apologies for the lack of readable book titles in the bookcase photo.)

 I've finished up the test knit I was working on last week, and am working on the counterpane while awaiting yarn for the next knit.  Seven squares down, 73 to go!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Your Bookcases turned out wonderful! and the new harp will love its new home. It's a beauty :) Do they take trade ins? I'm sure that isn't something easily sold on Craigslist:P

Carolyn said...

I'm going to try Craigslist, actually, and then some Harp Classifieds. The maker will buy it back for 90% of purchase cost, I think ... but I'd have to pack it for shipment to Ohio, and I'm a wuss about that. I just may have two harps for a while. Duets!