Thursday, January 11, 2018

2017 Temperature Afghan

It's said the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. And for me and my mom, this proverb has more than a seed of truth.  For the past two years, Mom has made a temperature afghan from her stash. 
Temperature 2016
The first year, she diligently worked one row for each day, plus a white stripe to divide up the months.  And - because we're detail-oriented people - she also added in some indicators of the precipitation.  The afghan was almost 8 foot long. 

So, for 2017, she changed the rules.  If the temperature stayed in the same color range for 2+ days, she still only added one stripe.  65 degrees for 10 days in a row?  Then one stripe of whatever 65 degrees is.  The afghan came out a lot shorter!
Temperature 2017
She's skipping the Temperature Afghan this year, and plotting out her yarn for a Temperature Scarf for next year.  I'm almost tempted to join her, but I've got this Counterpane thing going on, and since I decided to commit to Counterpane 2022, I've had 4 test knits crop up. 

I love test knits. They're like permission to MAKE time for knitting, as opposed to knitting when I've got everything else done. I get to play with new yarns, new patterns, and new-to-me designers.  And since I have a knack for picking intricate patterns with teensy yarn that can take forever, test knits remind me that there's a world out there with simple patterns and worsted weight yarn. 

I've learned I have another blog reader out there (Hi, M!) so I'm going to make an effort to get back on a weekly posting schedule.  We'll see how it goes! 

Now, please excuse me while I pop off the computer and work on test knit #4 ... on size 0 needles and 46 sts/4". 


No comments: