Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Knit From Your Shelf - A Success!


I'd like to declare that the 2009 Knit From Your Shelf campaign was a success. A small one, 'tis true - not many knitters (in fact, only one that I know of) are brave strange enough to attempt to work from their current pattern stash in such a fashion. But in the face of overwhelming opposition, I aimed high and have finished using my last book. (I'm not counting the booklet I received last week, nor the Haapsalu Sall. Books in foreign languages and items received after October 1st don't count.)

To celebrate, I cast on for a pair of mittens, using patterns from a Lithuanian mitten book. The next day, I finished the pair.

And then I cast on for Lilleput. 250 grams of sock yarn worked in garter stitch will take a while, but it's so CUUUUUTE! Filius is desirous of having a new gansey that fits him (barring that, he'd accept the Sandwater Jumper. It fits him nicely.) And I've a test knit in the works, and a twined hat, and ...

Speaking of niceties, our corn stove is still delighting us daily. Here's a photo of our grain delivery. The auger (the long white thing, for those of you not savvy with mechanized agriculture) is swinging into position. Not to pour the corn into our house (though that would be a neat trick. Insulation AND fuel!) but rather heading another 120 degrees or so counterclockwise over the house (from which the photo is taken) and garage (lower right corner) to our storage bin. Our first fill-up (and we figure on only one or two a year) was quite the event. Neighbors came out to watch. It's more fun than watching paint dry.

But paint dries really fast when you put it in front of a corn stove. So do socks, mittens, and stoles. It's a blocking tool!

We're halfway through the second term of school. SOS Spanish I is a great improvement over SOS Secondary Spanish. One tenth the mistakes, ten times the teaching, and there are a few games to practice spelling and vocabulary. Although one could wish that capitalization and punctuation didn't count in the spelling. It's tricky to remember that 'hoy es' is supposed to be 'Hoy es..' Filius is greatly enjoying the SOS Civil War elective, and wants to get all their history courses. SOS makes for an interesting change from the AO Year 8 Lite reading list!

Youth Group is starting the Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life. Yay! I love it when my children are reading good books outside of school. And I just happen to have this as an audiobook.

I had several pictures of me in the sweater ... but something went terribly wrong between the model and the digitized version.
Happy Thanksgiving, all!

ps - I'm accepting ideas for next year's theme. What should 2010 be the year of?




4 comments:

Shan said...

That picture is hilarious!

I don't know about 2010...knit from your shelf was a great idea. I didn't formally take part because I am a book reviewer and get pattern books all the time, so it wouldn't really count! I've knit from stash, though, and have determined to do Xmas for free, from stash. It's an interesting exercise.

fleegle said...

Gorgeous sweater and mitts! Look for the Heirloom Knitting group. I will post on my blog when the pattern is available, so no panic :) We are hoping to have it up by Christmas.

Deborah (aka Mt. Mom) said...

Lovely sweater! It's from an Ann Feitelson pattern, right?

Carolyn said...

Yes, Deborah. It's the Sandwater Jumper from The Art of Fair Isle Knitting. I think it's elsewhere under a different name as well.