Thursday, March 08, 2018

More winter

Several years ago, when Bible Study was on Tuesday evenings, the general weather pattern was "If it's Tuesday, we're under a tornado watch."  This year it's "If it's Monday, there's a winter storm."  Around half of our studies this year have been postponed due to weather.  But we're in March now, and March storms have lots of accumulation (since the snow is fluffy, as a rule, rather than small crystalline structures that sting) which melts quickly.  Theoretically.  Monday's storm was more slush than fluffy, and Tuesday's drive to the Cities was an interesting trek.  Not white-knuckled, thankfully, but definitely affected by the road conditions, or lack thereof. 

Knitting.  It's been counterpane, counterpane, and more counterpane.  I'm at 19 squares today, and will start #20 in a bit.  I need to figure out what I'm going to knit in Dallas next month, since white cotton on a cone makes for bad traveling knitting.  Filius has been wearing a vest I designed back in 2012 or so, and I'm going to get the pattern hashed out in multiple sizes to submit somewhere.  And I came across a lovely gansey for him in some of my editing work, so I'll need to order some yarn for that.  But near-black is not good traveling knitting, either.  I think it'll be socks or a scarf. 

Editing.  I'm in a lull between edits at the moment.  Perfect for spending some time developing a template for patterns from Carolyn Vance Designs.  Except I'd rather find something to dust.  Maybe clean the caster wheels under the piano?  Surely they need cleaning.  One of my goals for this year is to self-publish 6 patterns.  If I spend an hour a week on the template, it'll get done and then I can move on to picking a pattern to stick in the template, and then pop it up on Ravelry.  I just have to quit procrastinating. (Is 'quit procrastinating' a separate to-do list item from 'work on template'?)  I think I'll give myself a pep talk about it while working on the counterpane. 

I finished reading Liturgy of the Ordinary, by Tish Harrison Warren, this week.  It's a fairly easy read (unlike Out of the Ashes), but full of good things to think about.  I hope to come back to it in a year or two after some thoughts have marinated.  My next book will be Tim Keller's book on Prayer, by my mom has to finish it first.  Vanity Fair on audiobook is moving along nicely. 

The pellet stove is behaving itself nicely.  It doesn't keep the downstairs as warm as the hot-water-in-the-radiators does, but it much cozier for gathering around.  The blower doesn't SOUND that loud - but I've have to double the volume on the audiobook to hear it over the blower.  I love the sound of silence when the stove is off.    

Until next week...

No comments: