Friday, February 09, 2018

Hard Water

In our town, we have hard water.  I'm told it's not your run-of-the-mill hard water, or even your average very hard water (over 10 grains), but that  it's in the 'over 40 grains' category. I amuse myself by thinking this means I actually DO make dehydrated water in my amazing tea kettle.
Flakes of water


My tea kettle is amazing in that, unlike others that I have owned, this one comes close to being self-cleaning.  The hard water deposits build up for a week or so, and then, marvelously and amazingly, the kettle sheds them.  I'll be boiling water, and hear some popping noises come from the kettle, and voila ... flakes of deposit have sprung free from the bottom of the kettle.  The largest one in the photo above is over 4 cms in each direction.  Except for thickness.  Previous tea kettles have needed scrubbing and soaking in vinegar and a bit of chipping to remove the build-up. Over time, that results in tea kettles needing to be retired because of holes in the bottom.  

I have some actual knitting content this week!  One of my recent projects was a pair of gloves. Now, I'm a mitten knitter, and mitten-wearer.  I had a pair of Isotoner gloves eons ago which I used before I became a Serious Knitter, but really ... mittens are such a gorgeous canvas on which to create designs, why make gloves?  All those fingers, and differing finger lengths, and ... 

Then along came a test knit for a pair of gloves several years ago.  I knew I could do it, and didn't have another project in the wings, so I accepted it and quickly knit up Anu's Gloves as a practice 'how does this glove thing work, anyway' sample.  Then I knit up the test knit, sent off the gloves, and didn't pay any more attention to them for several years.  Except to note that really, they DID look nice in the professional photos.  So I decided to play with lovely, skinny yarn and knit up a pair of Sanquhar gloves from a free pattern.

They were surprisingly easy to knit, and gorgeous, and I let them marinate in my stash of finished knitted items for YEARS before I decided that, despite how lovely they were, I should still use them.  And suddenly, I became a glove-wearer.  And a glove-knitter.  It took several pairs of gloves, but I no longer have to give myself a serious pep talk before beginning a pair.  I'm always surprised at how FAST single-color gloves knit up.  Stranded gloves at 12 sts/" take a bit longer, but they're so lovely!

Checking for fit
Admiring the design

Sometimes, when one is knitting merrily away, one misses a mistake -- like, having a red square where a white square belongs, and vice versa.  I discovered a mistake in the second glove when I tried it on as I was about to start the fingers.  The mistake needed fixing, and I *thought* I could do it by laddering down over the 22-st section and reknitting the blocks in the correct order.

While I thought about it, I knit two fingers.  If my repair attempt didn't pass muster, I'd have to rip them out as well to get back to the top of the thumb gusset, but, oh well.  I didn't want to rush into things. 
I'd seen a photo of a tortuous lace repair in which the strands of yarn were pinned out in a lovely arc, and thought that might come in handy for keeping track of which two strands of yarn went together, and in what order they should be used.  This was a lifesaver.  32 pre-knit strands of yarn floating around randomly tangling would have been a nightmare.

Halfway there in the reknit!
One by one, I reknit the rows, then un-reknit them after noticing the white stitch at the left edge of my repair which had not laddered down with its fellows, and re-reknit.

And then it was time for another pot of tea.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I am never going to complain again of picking out seams! When they are done, it is back to a nice piece in which I can start all again. Your picking does not look like an easy put back together!

If your water deposits break loose as you are boiling new water, do you simply strain your newly boiled water? Or do you dump and start again? We have really SOFT water! I've never seen such deposits before!

Carolyn said...

With quilting, the seam-picking is the slow and steady part. With knitting, the repair is the slow and steady. Depending on what needs to be done, it can be the more challenging part, too. With this one, it was just a matter of getting the right two strands of yarn and reknitting the rows one at a time.

I use the water in my tea pot with an infuser, so the infuser takes care of any necessary straining. Usually the flakes just settle to the bottom, and I give the kettle a good rinse/wipe before I refill it with water to boil. Mom's got a water softener (and well water). Her water feels strange.