Wednesday, February 06, 2019

Continuing with the travel trend..

Stopped at the crossroads on Friday
Stopped at the same crossroads yesterday
 When the forecast calls for 1-3" of snow, you don't think much of it in February. But when Vir calls mid-afternoon to say the conditions are the worst he's experienced in 23 years of Minnesota driving ... one looks outside to smile at the flakes drifting quietly past and wonders what the roads will be like when Filia finishes work for the day.  Not bad, actually - if by not bad, you understand that in comparison to last week, they were very passable. 

 Having a skid-loader with a plow blade go past just before I backed out of the driveway was a nice touch of providence which I greatly appreciated.  The plows hadn't been out in town yet, and the 1-3" was about 6" deep.  Once I got  out of town, the first 4 miles were plowed ... and then, they weren't.

Thanks to the fluffiness of the snow, driving in a few inches of it wasn't a problem. And thanks to 2 years of experience on this route, I knew where the road should be.  Normally on the corner in the picture above, I'm looking carefully for deer.  Yesterday, I was looking carefully for the road.  (Carefully = at 35-40 mph) 

When I *wasn't* looking carefully for deer, they decided to run in front of me. I'd not been carefully looking because a) I was watching for the road, and b) I was watching the oncoming pick-up truck, making sure the two of us agreed on where the road was and that we were agreeing on where the left half and the right half of the driveable area was. (Sometimes, this means that westbound traffic uses the eastbound lane, and eastbound traffic uses the shoulder (paved and/or unpaved))  No 25 yards after we passed each other - DEER!  All seven of them managed to cross without interacting with the car.

More blessings!  We also spotted 2 bald eagles and quite a few turkeys, making yesterday a good day on the Wildlife Sighting Scale.

Until next week ..



2 comments:

Talented Chick said...

It's been quite a winter here in lower Wisconsin in the past three weeks! minus 30-degree temps and plenty of ice which dazzles and breaks trees and power lines!! I was wondering if it was at all possible to purchase your stranded vest pattern from Cast On, November 2013-January 2014. It's quite lovely. One of the saddest things in life is a discontinued pattern. Thank you!

Carolyn said...

I'm glad you like the vest! I've not put it together as a stand-alone pattern and although I had intentions to do just that, they're not working out. I'd rather knit than lay out a pattern. It's available to TKGA members though -- so for a 12-month membership of $25, you could get the pattern as well as access to the rest of the article and pattern archives, a year of Cast On, and monthly newsletters.

Caveat - I'm not sure that pattern is in the archives yet, but if you join and find out that it's not, just email info@tkga.org to request it. It'll get added right quick!